Tuesday, March 19, 2013

17. A food I am glad I tried


Butternut squash.  Thanks to my sister.
My love for butternut squash started when my sister made me butternut squash raviolis with sage butter.  I was a little hesitant to try them as it didn’t sound like something I would like.  But my sister is a really good cook and has encouraged me to try things.  The butternut squash raviolis were possibly the best things I had ever eaten.  I have had them in a few restaurants and they were also very good.  I had some packaged ones once that were awful.  While in Seattle for our 5th anniversary, we went to a restaurant that was in our hotel.  Being fall, they had a few squash specials.  One being butternut squash raviolis.  I jumped on the opportunity to have them.  This was the first time I had this dish with a creamy red sauce.  Every other time I had had them was with the sage butter.  I wasn’t sure how they would be but they were delightful.  I was tempted to go get them again the next night but we wanted to try something a different restaurant. 
Even though I loved the butternut squash raviolis I was hesitant when my sister said she was making butternut squash enchiladas.  I was envisioning red sauce and that just sounded awful with butternut squash. But she used a green sauce and these are now tied with the raviolis for the best food I ever ate.  I have made them myself and I still love them but they are even better when she makes them.  I have never attempted to make the butternut squash raviolis.  I have made regular cheese raviolis before and it was a lot of work.  (I was 13 at the time and very inexperienced in the kitchen.  Maybe I should give it another try.)
I am now craving both of these dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...